FaceBook  Twitter

Four years after the University of Pennsylvania moved from 9th and Chestnut Streets to its West Philadelphia campus in 1871, the Sigma Chi Fraternity installed its 34th chapter, Phi Phi of Pennsylvania, on September 17, 1875. The original charter, granted to Phi Phi by the Ohio Wesleyan Chapter of Sigma Chi, has survived 139 years and most recently has been displayed in the chapter room at 3809 Locust Walk.


This past summer, the House Corporation had this historic document, along with the 1912 Charter that founded the House Corp., both taken down and restored. Laser-scanned copies of each were reframed and returned to display at the Chapter House. The original documents have been secured safely in archival storage. The Board is considering opportunities to make copies of these documents available to alumni.